After 5 years of debating......

It took me five years to decide, but I finally got my ears pierced. Yes at age 23 I just now got my earlobes pierced for the first time. There are many reasons why it took me so long. I always kept thinking of the worst possible scenarios like infections or that I wouldn't discipline myself enough to clean them or the big one was that I didn't think I was ready.


I have always been afraid of needles. It's no surprise to anyone that I had to have two grown men nurses and my mom hold me down to have a shot when I was 10. I just have never liked the feeling of something piercing through my skin. That's why when I was in high school it took my parents by surprise that I wanted to get my ears pierced. After that day, I kept going back and forth. I would do research on where the best places to get to done was, I would look up the difference between a piercing gun and a needle, I would even ask people that I knew what their opinion was.

I really started wanting them these past couple of months. I inherited a lot of pierced earrings that were just to adorable to convert (and frankly I don't really like clip on earrings). I started doing research again and even called different places to see how sterile they were, what their method of piercing was, and even about earlobe size (I have really small earlobes). I decided that I would get them done on my birthday back in January. However, I kept getting job interviews and if I had a reaction to the piercings, I didn't want bright red ears during the interview. So that date got pushed back. Then I was going to get the done in February but it kept snowing and getting below freezing and I didn't want a new piece of metal in my ear while I was out shoveling snow. So I finally decided to get it done this past week.

My parents and I went to the mall and I signed the form and got them pierced with a piercing gun. I'm happy with them. It takes a little bit of getting use to (especially since you can't sleep on the side of your head for a while). I took my parents with me because I wanted a second (and third) opinion on if they were even. That was a big deal to me since I do have small earlobes I didn't want one that was too close to the bottom.

Piercings are a personal choice. My sister and mom have never wanted them. I see parents getting their babies done and I think to myself, "What if the child doesn't want their ears pierced? What if they are the kind of person that doesn't really like jewelry?". 

I think you shouldn't get them done until you are sure you want them and will take care of them.



What is your opinion on ear piercings?

Comments