Blogging vs Vlogging

Before I started this blog, I was reading fashion blogs and watching beauty videos for years (since high school). When I was deciding to start this blog I was also debating if I wanted to set up a YouTube channel instead. I think you know the outcome to that debate (blogger for the win!).


I read a quote in one of my textbooks a while ago saying that through a survey of internet users in 2010 ..... 

10-19% of Millennials (Age 18-33) post blogs & 40-49% read blogs
where as
80-89% of Millennials watch videos


I thought that was interesting. I do believe that there are more people that watch videos instead of read articles but I also believe that it depends on the topic. I personally love reading fashion and lifestyle articles but I tend to like watching beauty videos instead of reading about how to do a look.

I thought I would just touch on some differences between blogging and vlogging.......

1. They reach different people
With blogging, you tend to reach the people who love reading and like to visuals things themselves. 

Vlogging allows you to reach people who tend to be more visual and audio people. They enjoy watching movies and shows.

2. Using different skills
Blogging allows you to work on your writing, editing, web design, and photography skills. Through blogging I have learned who to write better post, become an editor of my work, writing HTML and CCS coding, and have worked on my photography and adobe skills. Each person learns different skills through their blog. It all depends on what you are blogging about. If you are blogging about traveling you could be learning different languages or the best ways to travel.

Vlogging allows you to work on your public speaking, video editing, animation, and filming skills. Through videos you get comfortable making sure your words come out clearly and work on your speech. You also work on learning how to film, how to make animations, and also how to edit your videos with either iMovie or Final Cut Pro. Each skill you learn depends on what you are filming. If you are filming videos games, you learn how to hook your computer to your gaming system or if you are filming cooking videos, you learn how to time things perfectly for filming and editing.

3. Your personality
Through writing you can sort of tell what their personality is like. If you are a really good writer then people can get a picture of how you are actually saying it. 

Through videos though, I feel you can get a sense of someones personality a lot better. You can watch how they act and do things.

It's the same as if you were answering someones email or meeting them in person.



Their are similarities between the two though....

1. They both can tackle the same topics. Where you find a blog about a makeup tutorial, you will also find a video about it.

2. Both use cameras in a way. Either for taking pictures or for taking videos.

3. Both allow social media to be a big part of promoting and talking to your followers.

4. If you get well enough known, you will both learn how to speak well in front of people in person.


When deciding which one would be best for me, I took into account what I love, what equipment I have, and that I don't particularly like my voice. Each criteria is different for everyone.




Do you have either a vlog or blog? What do you find similar or different? How did you decide which one would be best for you?

Comments