Cooking Time: Beef & Vegetable Soup

I don't claim to be a chef and I probably never will. Cooking makes me extremely nervous (mainly of burning things or it not tasting good). So I tend to cook the same basic things if I need to cook. This can include pasta, soup, or something on the stove.

This past week I needed to think of something for dinner for the whole week after I got home from work. I decided to go with soup since it has started to get colder and it's easy to heat up throughout the week.

I decided to go with a colonial soup from a recipe in a Williamsburg, Virginia cookbook  (page 42). I did doctor it a bit to make it a little more hearty.



Instead of chicken stock, I used beef stock. I also cut out the tomatoes (I'm not the biggest fan of cooked tomatoes). I put in some potatoes, corn, and garlic. For the vegetables I didn't really measure, I just through in as much as I thought I wanted.



When you add the extras, it makes the soup last a lot longer. I've found that when you make this recipe without the extra veggies it really only feed 6. When you throw in the extras, it can feed about 8-10 depending on the size of the servings.



I didn't do this but the recipe also says that you can serve it with sippets. If you don't know, a snippet is essentially a piece of toast in strips normally made from sweet breads. I think this soup would also go well with corn bread.


I love colonial food especially in the Fall/Autumn. Having this soup now has really gotten me in the mood for colder weather. 



What is a recipe that you like to make?


Comments